The Special Effects Licensing Unit of the Film Services Office in Create Hong Kong is responsible for administering the Entertainment Special Effects Ordinance (Cap. 560), which was enacted in 2000 to meet the needs of the film and entertainment industry in the production of special effects, while ensuring public safety and security. Its functions are:
- Licensing of special effects operators
- Approving and registering pyrotechnic special effects materials
- Exercising regulatory control on the supply, use, conveyance and storage of pyrotechnic special effects materials
- Issuing permits for the discharge of special effects materials
- Approving and issuing codes of practice
- Carrying out surveillance inspections to ensure compliance with the regulatory requirements
The Unit is staffed by a Senior Engineer, a Senior Explosives Officer and five Explosives Officers.